Here are some bird safe ways to add a fun fragrance to your home:
SPRAY BOTTLE RECIPES
- In a spray bottle, mix 1/4 cup baking soda with water and shake well. The baking soda absorbs the odor. Add a few drop of extract such as lemon, orange or vanilla as desired.
- Spray undiluted white vinegar in the air. The vinegar smell evaporates very quickly, taking odors with it.
KITCHEN & FOOD ODORS
- Prevent or eliminate cooking odors by simmering vinegar (1 tbsp in 1 cup water) on the stove while cooking.
- To get such smells as fish and onion off utensils and cutting boards, wipe them with vinegar and wash in soapy water.
- Place a bowl of vinegar on the counter and let it sit for a few hours.
- Keep fresh coffee grounds on the counter.
- Grind up a slice of lemon or orange in the garbage disposal.
- Simmer water and cinnamon, cloves, or other spices on stove.
- Place a partially filled box of baking soda in the refrigerator. Replace every two months and pour the contents of the used box down the drain removing odors keeping the drain clean. Baking soda can also be used to deodorize bottles by filling them with undiluted baking soda and allowing the bottles to soak overnight. Then wash as usual.
IN THE FRIDGE OR CAR
- Place pure vanilla on a cotton ball in a small saucer to remove odors. It is reported to remove even skunk odors. Keep the cotton ball out of reach of children due to vanilla's high alcohol content.
- Open windows or doors in the house for at least a short period every day. This will also help to reduce toxic fumes that may be building up indoors.
- Baking soda or vinegar with lemon juice in small dishes absorbs odors around the house.
- Place bowls of fragrant dried herbs and flowers (bird safe of course!) in room.
- Dampen a towel with vinegar and wave it through the air
- Place a few drops of extracts such as lemon, orange or vanilla on light bulbs.
- Having houseplants helps reduce odors in the home. .
- To freshen the air in the basement or garage, set a sliced onion on a plate in center of room for 12 - 24 hours.
- To avoid or remove onion odors from your hands, rub white vinegar on your hands before and after slicing. Rubbing hands with the end of a celery stalk will also remove the odor.
- Fill a Parmesan cheese shaker or similar container with baking soda. (spray with a little perfume or cologne if desired.) Sprinkle over carpets and let it sit as long as possible (Overnight is best). Vacuum.
- Add table salt to the baking soda, if desired. The salt absorbs moisture and acts as an abrasive, increasing the effectiveness of vacuuming.
- Take a small bowl of baking soda and mix in some cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir it up with a spoon every couple days and the baking soda will remove bad odors while the cinnamon and nutmeg will provide a nice scent. Throw out and change monthly.
- Unscented beeswax candles with cotton wicks and no chemical additives are safe